17 April 2007

2 Days, 39 Miles

.
I could have picked the 5K race. Or even the 10-mile walk... but no... when I go insane in the name of a good cause, I go all the way.

So on October 6 and 7, my sister and I will be walking the equivalent of 39 miles (that's 1.5 marathons) in order to raise money for breast cancer awareness, research and treatment.

I think I once walked 2 miles around my high school track for a charity, but other than that, I haven't done much in terms of charity fundraising efforts.

So today, she and I registered for a 2-day, 1.5 marathon-distance walk - they'll even provide an "easy to set-up, 2-person tent" for the overnight sleep ("You’ll bring whatever you need to make your tent 'interior' comfortable - a sleeping bag, pillow and sleeping pad, if you wish." Can I bring a masseuse?)

Anyhoo, the kicker is that we need money. From you. You guys have to donate to the cause, because in order to walk, we each have to raise $1,800 - minimum. So dig out the credit cards and click HERE to donate to me.

My sister is joining me in this stupid-but-still-a-good-cause adventure... so if you know her better than you know me, don't donate to me... donate to her instead by clicking HERE. We'll both need to raise at least $1,800 and this way, she won't stop talking to me because I stole her donations.

For those of you wanting a bit more context as to why we're doing this, our mom passed away in 1999 after a 5 year battle with breast cancer. It has stolen family, friends, sisters, mothers, daughters, cousins, partners, and acquaintances... and it needs to stop. Our mom still watches over us.... and she's going to be walking with us in October, too.

To sum up:
.....Donate to Beth: click HERE
.....Donate to Beth's sister: click HERE

(That's me and mom, at my college graduation in 1995)

.

No comments: